SCALE MODEL CHALLENGE COMPETITION
The competition is divided into a figure painting contest and a scale modelling contest and we award three best of Shows: Best of Show Scale Modelling Contest, Best of Show Historical Figures, and Best of Show Fantasy Figures.
We will also award two Best of Standard trophies: one in the scale modelling contest and one in the figure painting contest. Standard is what was previously called Advanced or, in some cases, Advanced/Beginners combined.
In all classes multiple highly commended awards (NEW IN 2017 !), bronze, silver and gold medals can be awarded. The judges will assess all entries, but per class only your best entry can be awarded.
The judging criteria are guidelines we give the jurors to assess the competition models, but participants may also find them useful for various reasons.
Attention: You can only participate in the contest for two days. On Sunday it is not possible to enter models or add them to the contest tables. Read further on this page for more information. Entering the contest can be done by pre-registration, but also on Saturday 21st October between 10:00 and 13:00 hrs. Models are not allowed to be taken from the contest tables until Sunday after the awards ceremony.
General Contest Information
- The most popular categories are subdivided into 2 or 3 levels: beginners, standard and masters, whereby Beginners is meant for those making their first steps into the hobby. Standard class is meant for advanced participants, and Masters classes are clearly meant for those who have been successful in various competitions already. In case that there is no Beginners class, these will be combined with advanced in a Standard class. In the other categories there is no subdivision and all levels are combined into one class.
- Please find the complete list of classes below
- All classes will be judges according to the international “Open System”, which is explained in the contest rules and in the judging criteria.
- Per class, all participants are required to group their models (“display”), so not divided over the table. This counts for all classes and categories. After paying your contest fees on October 21, you will receive, per participating class, two markers that you are required to add to either side of your “display” to mark its boundaries. This is required even if you have only one model in a display.
- The awards ceremony will be on Sunday 22nd October at 15:45 hrs, in the Brabant hall a.k.a. the SMC restaurant which provides ample space and seats for those attending. You can find the location on the floor plan on this website.
- As you have read above, we will introduce a Highly Commended (HC) award in 2017. Contrary to the other medals, these awards will not be handed over on stage, but you will find a card added to your winning model, which you can use to claim your HC award at the contest registration desk on Sunday between 13:00 and 15:00.
- On Sunday morning you can already see if you have won a medal. We will mark all medal winning models with a generic card. These cards only indicate that you won a medal, but do not reveal which one. We wish to keep that surprise until the awards ceremony.
- Prizes donated by traders can be collected at their own stands on Sunday 22nd October from 14:00 hrs onwards. In case your models or figures have won a prize donated by a trader, you will find a card accompanying your model, which you can take to collect your prize.
- Any prizes that are awarded by clubs will be handed over prior to the awards ceremony on Sunday in the Brabant hall (SMC restaurant)
Attention: You can only participate in the contest for two days. Registration on Sunday 22nd October is not possible, nor can you place models on the table anymore. Read further on this page for more information.
- Per model you pay a standard fee of € 3, for a maximum of 5 models. More entries per participant are most welcome, but every entry over 5 is free of charge.
- For pre-registered models you only pay €2 per model, also for a maximum of 5 models.
There are two options for entering the competition:
- Through the online registration application EMPEROR, until 15th October 2017
- In Emperor you will create your own account, using your own password. You can make any changes on-line until pre-registration closes on 15th October 2017. Changes after that date can only be made by our staff at the contest desk at SMC.
- We have two desks especially for pre-registrations on Saturday October 21st. Please go there to pay your fee and collect an envelope that contains your owners list, stickers, cards, and markers to border your display(s).
- IMPORTANT: To collect your models after the show on Sunday, you could be requested to show the owners list with your entries. You will receive this list at the registration desk as well.
- Registration during the show, on 21st October 2017, between 10:00 and 13:00(!) hrs.
Registration of your contest entries during the show is also possible though EMPEROR. This means that, in case you have not pre-registered, you should enter all data yourself at the terminals we have available for you in the contest area. We also provide assistance, should you need any. Don’t hesitate to ask!
- In Emperor you will create your own account, using your own password and enter your models.
- After you have completed your entries, please proceed to the appropriate desk for registrations-at-site to pay the contest fee and collect your envelope that contains your owners list, stickers, cards, and markers to border your display(s).
- IMPORTANT: To collect your models after the show on Sunday you are requested to show the owners list with your entries. You will receive this list at the registration desk.
Jury of SMC 2017
The list of judges for the SMC 2017 contest as confirmed so far:
Scale Modelling Contest
Rudi Meir (B)
Ivan Cocker (MT)
Lester Plaskitt (UK)
Stefan Pasztor (SK)
Mark Chisolm (UK)
André Kliebisch (NL)
Huub van Dijk (NL)
Jay Laverty (CAN)
Christopher Mrosko (USA)
Rubén González Hernández (E)
Volker Bembennek (D)
Mario Eens (B)
Chris Meddings (UK)
Eelke Warrink (NL)
Phil Hyslop (UK)
Figure Painting Contest
Ben Komets (D)
Denis Vanhingheland (B)
Pietro Balloni (IT)
Oliver Kovacs (H)
Ivan Hortal (E)
Fabio Nunnari (IT)
Philippe Gengembre (FR)
Luca Baldino (IT)
Ben Curry (UK)
Alberto Fabri (IT)
Anna Shestakova (RUS)
Manuel Caterini (IT)
Alex Varela (E)
John Keys (UK)
Anastasiya Podorozhna (UA)